Buckingham Preparatory School was founded in 1937 as part of a through school, becoming a separate Lower School in September 1959. It moved from The Ridgeway, Kenton to its present premises on Rayners Lane in January 1997. The school has, from its inception, constantly sent boys on to the top independent and grammar schools in the local area and beyond.
Shortly after moving to Rayners Lane, in 1998, Laurence Smith became the Headmaster of the school. He took it from strength to strength with many old boys fondly remembering Mr Smith as a fantastic role model and mentor. Sadly, Laurence had to retire in late 2013 due to ill health and he passed away in March 2014.
In Sarah Hollis, the school now has a new Headteacher who has continued to take the school forward, whilst still respecting its traditions and values. To this end, the school has recently undergone an extensive refurbishment, including the dedication of the library to the memory of Laurence Smith.